Friday, February 10, 2012

47. it's in the bag

I have a problem. A gift problem. In the past while out and about, if I saw a great deal on something that I thought would make a great gift, I'd pick it up for some point in the future when I needed a baby gift or something for a birthday, holiday, etc. Who am I buying it for? When am I giving it? Too often these items sit and wait for... someday. It's also less personal since it's just something I picked up on sale and not something I purchased with that particular person in mind. I have a new plan. The next big thing is my mom's birthday in April. When I sent my sister's birthday gift yesterday, I picked up a flat rate box from the post office and  put all those items I've collected for my mom into the box . I think I'm done... two months early. =) Stores are there for a reason, they'll never run out of stuff. I don't need to store it until I need a gift and most of these items will be contributing to someone else's clutter since they aren't personal. Might I pay more for a particular item? Maybe. But I'll only buy that one item and not several random things to have on hand... just in case. These days, I'm going more for consumables - things that will get used up and go away and not be soemone else's clutter.

Today's item: 
Still in the box. It's flimsier than I was expecting and I know I'll never use it. Off it goes!

4 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. Boxes and boxes of things I've picked up for a someday gift. And when I need a gift, I look in the boxes, and nothing is quite "right".

    Thanks for the inspiration to do more culling in those boxes and pass along things that may never be "right" for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! There are still a few things lurking in the drawer unit in my craft room, but that's my goal for the coming week - go through those drawers and clear out what I can.

      Delete
  2. I do the exact same thing... in my defense, I have the space and all the gifts are in the same spot so I don't forget many of them. This habit of mine saves me lots of money as long as I am diligent with a specific peron in mind when I get it and I label the gift before putting it in the "stash" spot. The exception is $10-20 toy gift stash for those times when my son's are invited to birthday parties -- a necessity so I don't have to panic buy and drive to the other end of town (my house isn't near even one department store :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I've decided my box idea will work for me. Added bonus of course that I'll have the box I need to ship the item(s) when the time comes as well. Can't tell how many times I've had to wait to ship because I didn't have a box on hand. I can totally see stockpiling a few gifts to meet the birthday party needs though. I don't have kids and have easy access to plenty of stores should a need arise. It's all about finding what works for each of us. =)

      Delete

please be kind =)