Monday, February 27, 2012

64. negative space


The more I get rid of, the more I'm enjoying the empty spaces appearing around my home. That negative space helps the brain focus on what's there, what's really important, rather than overwhelming us with too much going on. We need that visual space. The top of my kitchen cabinets once held all sorts of random items. Now, they're completely clear. The counter holds a fraction of what it once did. The shelf above my built-in wall oven and microwave once held several small appliances and a few other random kitchen items. Now, it holds my cake cover when not in use. That's it. The best part? I don't miss anything that I've gotten rid of.

After pulling a stack of cookbooks off the shelves to sort through and rearranging just a bit, I'm having a hard time putting any of those books back. The shelves are no longer crowded and there is actual empty space. Nice little extra incentive to be more ruthless as I sort through these books!

Today's stack:
Some cookbooks I decided could go along with a couple of decluttering books I no longer need. =)

Funny tidbit from one of those books. As I flipped through, I spotted a section discussing cookbooks. The author states that the average household has 13 cookbooks. I'm not down to 13 yet... or anywhere even close. Not sure I'll ever get down to 13 (not even counting digital editions), but I still have a LOT that could go away without even being missed.

2 comments:

  1. I followed you over from Ravelry and I have enjoyed clicking through your items each day. I'm guilty of having too many cookbooks as well. I think I've got 25-30, not counting the cooking magazines or the ones I stored while we're here overseas (why on earth did I do that?), so I've got a ways to go as well. My goal for this year is to go through each cookbook and copy down only the recipes that I know I'd like to try and then get rid of most of my big cookbooks. Then as I try each recipe, if it's a keeper, I put them in a 3-ring binder to use again and if the recipe stunk, then the recipe card simply gets recycled, never to be heard from again. My ultimate goal is to fill the binder with only recipes that our family loves and to have those recipes turned into a family cookbook so that when my two kiddos move out, they can have a copy of their favorite recipes growing up. My mother was very grudging with sharing family recipes, so there are alot of yummy meals that I loved growing up that I can't recreate, and I don't want that to happen to my kiddos. Plus, if all our favorite recipes are in one central place, then I won't have any need for a whole shelf (or three). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you! I hope you stick around. =) Though I'm not doing my daily postings now that I've moved into the rv, I'll be doing weekly posts keeping things in check.

      By the end, I'm not exactly sure how many physical cookbooks I have remaining. I no longer buy physical ones and rarely buy a digital cookbook these days, but I do prefer digital and love having them on my iPad so they're easy access.

      I started a notebook of recipes years ago, but abandoned it for scanning them to digital files. I have a friend who refuses to give out her "special" recipes, says that way people have to invite her to things if they want her great food. I'd rather people invite me for me... not my secret recipes. =)

      Delete

please be kind =)