Sunday, March 25, 2012

91. fail


Yesterday afternoon reminded me why I don't really like selling stuff. I had two items in my Jeep to meet up with people... one bailed at the last minute, the other apparently doesn't own a tape measure or a ruler or have any idea what 8" looks like. No, an 8" tall kennel is not big enough to house train your dog even if it is a chihuahua. I even included my cat in the ad photo for size reference along with the actual measurements for those who are more visual. Everyone knows how big a cat is, right? Maybe not. I'm trying to sell a couple of (now empty - woo!) shelves too and the number of people who think a 6' tall shelf will fit into a small SUV... measure, people! It's not just my time you're wasting. While I was out and about, I did make a Trader Joe's run though so all was not wasted. =) I usually meet up with people just down the street at the post office for anything other than furniture and after yesterday's experience, I'm going back to that. I even had someone want me to load a cabinet/desk and meet her somewhere so she could look at it and decide if she wanted it. Um, no. Guess it doesn't hurt to ask though, right? lol

Last night, I read an interesting blog post on minimizing books. I'm still working on this area myself, but I'm getting there. Today is another step in the right direction. I'm now down to two tall bookshelves and counting. Yay for ebooks! 

Today's items:
More books! Dropped off at Goodwill. As I was moving books from the shelf in the living room into the craft room, I was thinking, "Why am I keeping these?" Goodwill will be getting another box soon. =)

12 comments:

  1. Argh! How frustrating. People, eh? ;P I did a book drop off today, too, although my motive wasn't as altruistic as yours. I took them to the second hand store and will have some credit towards, um, more... Still, it feels good to get them out of the house and the back of the truck. Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to trade in books at the used book store and have thought once or twice about doing so with some of these, but I think it would just add to my problem. lol Better for me to have them gone and no credit to spend willy-nilly. Now if I could trade them in for credit toward ebooks...

      Delete
    2. Have you tried the Amazon trade-in program for books? I traded in quite a few for gift cards, which I then used for Kindle books.

      delona

      Delete
    3. I thought about it, but the trade-in on the few I looked up was pretty minimal and I just wasn't that motivated I guess. I suppose a few dollars is better than nothing, but it's so low... I've listed the ones myself that would clear a decent amount but never done the trade-in. I do trade in pts on my credit card and change at Coinstar kiosks for Amazon gift cards though.

      Delete
  2. The few items we have sold on Craigslist have been large unruly things like a weight machine, macaw bird cage & industrial model dust collector (don't ask) , etc. I hated the process of meeting the people - all turned out well mind you, but fending off the crazies that want to know stupid answers to their stupid questions drove me over the edge. We were selling a treadmill for about $200. Some guy asked if we would accept $35 & would we be willing to bring it up a flight a stairs to his apartment. WTH? No!!
    We may have a few more Craigslist items to sell of & I told the husband we had best do it all at the same time & get it over with quickly like yanking off a big bandaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahahaha! People are amazing. I've had a few ridiculous offers that I just ignore (a batch of items listed for $100 and a lady emails saying to let her know when I'll take $20 - hmm, never?). Definitely a bit better if you bunch them together. That's sort of how I've been doing it too and mostly it's been fine, but this past weekend was terrible. The shelves are only still unsold because the weather won't cooperate though. Rain, snow, rain... had two people want to come today and I wake up to pouring rain. =(

      Delete
  3. How annoying! I've had one buyer like that, too - why won't they just look and read before they take the time to come over and make the seller and themselves unhappy! Your progress is wonderful though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I try to give as much info as possible and even update my listing with more info if someone asks something that I haven't included. I guess some people just enjoy wasting their (and my) time. And thanks! I'm pretty happy with how much has gone out of here so far. =)

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    I'm a 365 Declutterer, also. I just wanted to let you know I've linked to your blog this week.

    Delona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Delona! I'm off to check out your blog. =)

      Delete
  5. After years (decades) of holding yard sales, usually one a year, and then several years of doing craigslist, I now just load stuff up and go right to the nearest thrift store to donate. Granted I am giving up some potential income from doing this but the frustration factor drove me to it.

    Here's one blog post I did on trying to give something away for free on craigslist several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I've had ads flagged on craigslist too for no reason that I can figure out. My guess on yours was the use of one tiny word. Mine, I think it might have been other people trying to sell the same items and not wanting the competition. Whatever. I try a few times and then donate whatever doesn't sell. People are funny. I had one woman email that she wanted an item, asked obvious questions, asked if I could meet her the next day... two different times. She even tried to talk me down from $10. lol She never did show.

      Delete

please be kind =)