Friday, May 18, 2012

145. overbooked

This link has nothing to do with physical decluttering, but definitely has something to do with simplifying and focusing on life. Cell phones are a great convenience, but they have quickly become a great annoyance as well. No one needs to be connected 24/7. I've yet to regret dropping my smart phone in favor of my old, cheap flip phone and a small texting plan. I also rarely check Facebook these days. I didn't find I was getting much out of it and realized it was more of a time suck than anything positive. I haven't closed my account, but I rarely go there. I'm not saying having a smart phone or regularly using Facebook are bad things, just that neither were adding ti my life so I dropped them. Is there something in your life that you've let go (or think you should let go) to bring about positive changes? I still spend more time online than I probably should. There's always room for improvement. =)

I set a goal for myself this week. I wanted to cull the bookshelves enough that what was left would fit into a single tall bookshelf and the smaller, narrow one in my bedroom. Work has been minimal this week so I've had lots of time for decluttering the shelves. I'm thisclose to fitting everything on that one big shelf.

Today's items:
Ah, Bunnicula - this was one of my favorite series as a kid. I grew up watching Little House on the Prairie and picked up this collection quite a few years ago, but never did read it. I don't have kids and have no intention of having any so it's time to pass these along where they'll be appreciated. These have been collecting dust in my various home over the year for far too long.

Yes, I finally took a look at the crafty books! Not pattern books, but knitting-related anyway. And several dog-related books I've been holding on to for years as well. My little guy is five years old, his issues mellowed with age. Should I need a training book in the future, I can always borrow from the library.

This? This is the collection of books I've decluttered this week! FIVE bags full, loaded into my Jeep and headed to the library for their book sale. I'll have to see if they have a cart so I can get these inside in one trip. lol

6 comments:

  1. I was actually pretty proud of myself. for suspending my FB account for three months at the start of this year. I missed it for about a week, then it just became something I "used" to do. My intention was only a month, but it just kept going and going... :) Now that I'm back on, it's with less of a vengeance, but still more than I'd like. It's my own issue, not anything to do with FB. I need to figure out what it is that keeps me online in a virtual world much more often than participating fully in the REAL world.

    Amazing job on the books, too, btw! My declutter helper arrives this evening, but not to worry - I won't have her digging in my closets right away. I'll give her a day or two...Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just posted more today along with pics of the remainder.

      I used to be on FB more, esp when I was traveling and in hotel rooms, often in cities where I knew no one. I thought about just closing the account, but there are a few people whose photos I enjoy flipping though occasionally. I use an app that weeds out most of the crap (games & such) and check it maybe once every couple weeks.

      Delete
  2. I never got sucked into FB for which I'm very grateful. I've significantly cut back on my blogging time - both writing and reading. That frees up time for real life activity, although I'm not being as productive as I certainly could.

    Thanks for keeping up your blog as seeing your constant decluttering progress keeps me motivated on my much slower progress. We did decide recently to let go of two sets of DVDs which freed up a lot of space: Northern Exposure and the Harry Potter movies. Perhaps I shouldn't admit that yesterday I picked up (used - with trade credit from the above) the entire Highlander series. This is what people without TV do... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I can inspire. =) I've dropped quite a few blogs from my rss feed and have weeded out many podcasts I was watching/listening too as well. I found I was always playing catch-up. lol I used to LOVE Northern Exposure. And there's nothing wrong with picking up something you'll watch, esp when you're using credit for trading others in! =) I only watch tv online. I have DVDs but rarely watch them since I so rarely watch anything twice. I really need to go through those and start culling so someone else can enjoy them.

      Delete
  3. I don't like Facebook either, but if I want to see photos of my grandchildren, that's the most likely way to see them.

    Way to go on decluttering so many books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FB can be a great tool for keeping in touch, but I found for myself, it was mostly just a time-suck. lol Using it in much smaller doses seems to work well though.

      Delete

please be kind =)