Saturday, July 7, 2012

195. cooooool


Ahhhh, do you feel that? That's cold air. Yes, I caved and bought an a/c yesterday to prevent myself from becoming an oozing pile of goo in the high heat hitting us tomorrow and sticking around a few days. I do live in a tin can after all. Found it on craigslist and because the guy was moving (literally, the U-haul was already packed in the drive), I got a really good deal on a freestanding unit that vents out a window. =) I did find a new one online for $250 plus tax, but would have had to have it shipped. Everyone was jacking prices up on used units thanks to the heat wave coming. Seriously, old 5ooo btu window units were priced at $75 and up! This one's 10ooo btu and had been priced at $140, but thanks to being moving day and my ability to immediately take off for Idaho to pick it up got me a great deal at only $100. Sometimes having no work is truly a blessing. =) The only other used unit I saw like this was $150 and even farther away. I have side-to-side slider windows so a window unit doesn't work well since you'd then have to use plywood or foam or something to block the upper section of window and it's less than secure. This one only requires the window be open about 5" and the plastic sections extend up to cover the space. I'll get a piece of wood cut today to lay in the window track so the window can't be opened any farther by someone wishing to gain illegal entry... not that I have much left to steal. lol

Today's items:
 
I sold my table and chairs! Woo! I bought these chairs when I was in Spokane the first time, on clearance at Fred Meyer. The table was a great clearance find at Shopko last Fall. I actually made money on this set, not a lot, but some. =) These took awhile to sell, but all three went out this morning and, funny enough, will be heading to Alaska soon. Apparently, they're downsizing some of their own stuff and filling a trailer to haul up the Alcan.

They also bought two of these lamps (in black). I used to live in Alaska... these things can all be purchased there so I'm not sure why they're buying things just to haul up there, but as long as they're out of my house, I don't really care what they do with them. =)

I also sold another crafty book. Two more should be going as well, just waiting on the money. =)

Total cash from decluttering so far this year: $2,154

6 comments:

  1. Woohoo - you broke the 2K mark! My kitchen table is actually under my bed & the legs & chairs are in the attic. We never ate at the table but instead use the breakfast bar & much more comfy barstools or we outside on the screened-in back porch.
    So change of subject....what took you to Alaska and subsequently what brought you Spokane? If it's personal - no worries..but I'm just interested in why & where folks chose to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in IN and moved to AK after high school to go to college for wildlife management. That wasn't a fit, but the AK part stuck for 14 yrs. A couple yrs before I moved, I went back to school for medical coding so I'd have a good skill when I moved. I was tired of being so far from everything and started looking at WA. Seattle was too expensive so I looked farther inland and chose Spokane. I was here nearly 2 years and took some photography classes here when I took the travel job and moved back to IN. I'd intended to move back west all along, but had looked at Vancouver, WA, and found nothing so ended up back in Spokane almost a year ago now. Spokane's definitely not a good fit for me now and I'm moving on again. =)

      Delete
  2. Where are you selling all of your knitting books? You've had great luck selling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sold most through listing them on Ravelry boards. If you're familiar with Ravelry, check out the message boards. There's one for book destashing. =) Sales have been good, but my prices are also really good. lol I did sell one through Amazon I think too.

      Delete
  3. Oh, your stuff will be pulling through my neck of the woods shortly. I shall have to wave at all the Alaskans coming through with trailers and say 'Hi, Karen!' when I see them. Ha ha!

    And if you like, you can package up some of that heat and send it along with the next crew headed to AK. It's been pretty cool & wet this summer so far and we could use a nice dose of sunshine before fall arrives...August? Too soon, at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could, I would happily share the heat!

      Delete

please be kind =)