Sunday, January 6, 2013

birthday fallout

I opened my birthday package from my mother yesterday! Much of the box was filled with this, a set of flannel sheets:
 

My mom is funny. She doesn't think things "match" unless they contain the same colors - she wears a lot of blue to match her jeans. I had a comforter that was tan and blue (if you've been around awhile, you might remember that comforter going away) so she thought these would match. I have a solid chocolate brown cover on my bed these days so pretty much everything "goes." Since I don't have a lot of storage space in the RV, I ended up returning these to the store for credit. I love the thought, but around Christmas, I bought myself a set of flannel sheets in a fun, bright owl print and I'm going to pretend I exchanged the wolves for the owls. Works, yeah? These are just more... me.
 
This way, I can honestly say I'm enjoying the flannel sheets. =)

I will say, I usually try to have no expectations so that I'm completely open to whatever happens (or doesn't), but... we'd been talking about project bags for yarny projects and later my mother mentioned she was sewing me something and I got my hopes up. Yes, I know better. lol Alas, I did not get a project bag or two... I got a set of pillow cases... really looooong pillow cases. 41" long! I think this size is meant to hang over the sides of a queen sized bed, but my bed had a cabinet on one side of the bed and the nightstand on the other. She did a very nice job on them. I'm not sure they'll go well with my printed sheets, summer or winter, though since both sets are also patterned. I'm debating if I should just shorten them or possibly rework them into a few bags.
 
What do you think?

I'm of the mind that a gift is a gift and no one should feel badly for passing along or exchanging a gift that would otherwise go unused and unloved. I'd actually rather the giftee exchanges or passes along a gift from me that missed the mark. I try, but I'm not always going to find just the right item. I certainly don't want to add to someone's clutter or guilt!

Also in the box?
That's the dog toy she sent (of course!) along with a small tin of mints with a chihuahua. Reilly is 1/4 chi. She said she did look for a minpin one, but it probably would have been black & tan anyway. =) Reilly loves the toy and I plan to reuse the tin when the mints are gone. My stitch markers will live in this instead of the little plastic case they came in. =)

I also got a birthday card in the mail from my oldest sister with a $25 gift card to Jo Ann Fabric. Perfect! =)

So, overall, I'm down on stuff! I got rid of more than came in. =)

8 comments:

  1. Wolves eh. Well they do indeed match!
    My Mom, bless her heart, has zero clue what I like even after I specifically tell her. I used to be in the military years go. I cannot convince my Mom that just because I did a stint for my country (read: they paid for my college) does not mean I'm a fan of military "fight" songs, or war history, or anything military, combatty, historical, etc. Yet every birthday & Christmas since I joined /left the military (which I got out in the early 90's) I've gotten something WW2, Nam, Desert Shield/Storm, Gulf War, Korean War, etc related. It all goes straight to Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. Good for you for passing those items along! So it's not just my mother who doesn't listen, huh? lol

      Delete
  2. I know this doesn't solve the non-coordinating prints issue with the pillow cases, but I have a trick to deal with the length of the pillow cases. You know, just in case you get another set next birthday. :) Once you put the pillow inside, simply tuck the extra fabric from one side of the opening across the pillow and down the other side (inside the case), then tuck the other side down the same side. We used to do this back when I worked housekeeping and it helps keep the entire pillow covered. I purposely buy king-sized pillow cases for my normal pillows, just so I can do this. :) Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I did think of that (I've seen it done in hotels) but that would tuck all the swirly fabric inside... of course they'd then match better. lol

      Delete
  3. It's not just my mother, then! Good to know. She's been exceptionally good to me over the years, but she got into this "thing" about knitting sweaters for me. Now, I appreciate that she was thinking of me, but I'm almost 5'9" and she's 5'1". You can see where this is going, right? I remember one with horizontal stripes, a batwing-ed, robin's egg blue cashmere one, and this green variegated wool (blend, of course) one. She finally stopped when I noticed that she was knitting one and she asked if I liked it. I said "no," perhaps a bit more abruptly than I should have (but it was purple & yellow horizontal stripes...) and I've never had another one. Bless 'em. They mean well, but I think they get "stuck." You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right! She does love the whole "bedding" thing. She's the one that gave me that tan/blue comforter after I glanced at it briefly while I was with her and she loves giving people the smaller throw blankets. That Snuggie that went away was from her as well.

      Wow. There's no one I love enough to knit a sweater for them! That's entirely too much work to put into something and unless the person specifically asked for that sweater in that yarn... that's a big risk. At least she finally took the hint. =)

      Delete
  4. Love the flannel sheets. Saw that same set at walmart and wanted to get them, but got some red plaid ones instead. hope they still have some left by the time I get paid again. love those flannel sheets. so warm and toasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Karen! Wanted to pick your brain about medical coding. Thought you had your email up here at one point, but can't see it now...

    ReplyDelete

please be kind =)