Friday, May 24, 2013

it's about time!

Time.

That's something I've had far too little of for far too long. I spent most of the winter working loads of overtime, often up to 80 hours a week. Then, my company offered me a promotion a few months ago, guaranteeing me a steady paycheck and a little bit better benefits. I had reservations as I've always thought I didn't want to move into management, but I accepted the offer and for the past couple months, I've had 11 others reporting to me and have taken on a lot more responsibility day to day. My job usually comes with a good chunk of down time in the Spring and I thought this would be a good move since I wouldn't have to worry about short paychecks from lack of work. Turns out, I had no idea what I'd signed up for... a lot of stress, dealing with people who seem to have very little work ethic and getting paid a salary based on a 40-hr work week but working 80+ hrs many weeks. I never dropped below 60 hrs and even on those short weeks, I needed to have worked more. Sure, I was earning a little paid vacation time, but it was far from balancing out! That down time never materialized either this year so while I was working for what ended up being near minimum wage, I could have been getting paid my old rate plus overtime. =( Let's just say, as of this evening, I'm officially back in my old position where I could set my own schedule, still get paid for all the hours I work and can say NO to working more if I so choose. Sure, I gave up the title, but I didn't care about the title anyway. I should have followed by gut in the first place and said no, but I definitely know now that I do not want to be in management ever again. Can I do it? Absolutely. Do I want to? NO. The trade-off just wasn't worth it. I have to say I'm looking forward to getting those bigger paychecks again and working again on paying down the RV, something that hasn't been happening at anywhere near the rate it was before my "promotion". Another bonus? This guy:

will be getting a whole lot more attention and multiple daily walks! =)

It's all about figuring out your priorities. Now to decide where I'm headed  since I have my freedom back...

6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh your Riley is adorable! It's never a bad idea to want to spend more time with the one's you love - dogs especially!
    Good to hear you are taking control back of your work life. Sounds like you know what's right for you & made the right decisions after all. Bravo for taking on a new challenge but an even bigger bravo for knowing when it's not a good fit.
    Here's hoping you enjoy your down time & get back to enjoying all the things you've had to put on hold when you were working so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on it... Reilly and I have been taking 1-2 walks a day the last week or so. It's been good for both of us! =)

      Delete
  2. Riley is totally worth it! What a doll!

    Well, you gave it a shot and as you say, now you know it's not for you. And there's nothing wrong with admitting that - it's always good to know what doesn't work for you as well as what does. Congrats on the "demotion" and getting back to what works best for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm pretty happy about it! I still worked too much last week (my own fault) but I'm less stressed and liking that working OT is now "optional". =)

      Delete
  3. Ditto everything Jane said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying! I'm working on a sweater now. =)

      Delete

please be kind =)