Episode 30 – just peachy!
It’s peach season here in eastern Washington! =)
On their way out (WIPs):
· DoncasterShawl – pattern by Holli Dapp
- New KAL for the Fudge Ripple patterns! Any hat or cowl (or mitts if I write up a pattern) will count toward an entry for a yet to be determined prize.
- I dyed yarn for another painted skein warp weaving project! I also explain what to look for when choosing a skein for this technique. =) More details can be found here.
It’s Easy Being Green…
Conventionally grown cotton – the world’s “dirtiest” crop.
- 2.4% of the world’s crop land is cotton, but accounts for 25% of the of insecticide sales and at least 10% of pesticide sales.
- Can take 1/3 lb of synthetic fertilizer to grow one pound of cotton = 1 t-shirt
- Organically grown cotton use organic fertilizers (compost, manure) and also no biotech cotton!
- The processing of raw fiber into clothing also pollutes with the cleansing and dyeing processes.
EarthCreations uses hemp and organically grown cotton fabrics. They use clay dyeing and low-impact dyes and also support Fair Trade and Sweatshop-Free practices.
Blue Sky Alpacas has organic cotton yarn!