Episode 38 – 10/15/14 – ends and new beginnings
Classes have started! =) Due to my busier schedule, recording will now be every other week so I’ll actually have progress to share.
Out of the Stash (FOs):
- Last week, I sewed up two more bags as prizes plus some lavender sachets too!
- I made the first prize for the Good Karma craft-along this weekend!
- Handspun! 8 oz – one ply is alpaca/silk and the other is Polwarth/silk, 407 yds
- Pollin the thread – Do you spin? If so, do you love spinning the singles best? Orplying? Or both equally?
On their way out (WIPs):
- Nostalgia Shawl, pattern by Elena Nodel, using two skeins of hand-dyed merino/silk yarn
- The Vampyre, shawl pattern by Justyna Lorkowska, using my merino/silk/bamboo handspun
- Loop batt won from the Fibre Town podcast! 5.1 oz of merino/nylon/Angelina in Box of Chocolates!
- Planning to start on a braid of superwash merino/bamboo/nylon from Unwind Yarn Company in theAurora Borealis colorway
It’s Easy Being Green…
Green your holiday!
- Instead of buying plastic treat bags or buckets, look for (or make) a fabric bag or use a pillow case or a reusable bag you already have around.
- Instead of inexpensive plastic costumes that barely make it through one wearing, check out the thrift stores, your (or family’s or friend’s) attic or recycle materials like cardboard and fabric to make your costume. For a quicker option, you can always rent!
- Need make-up for your costume? Check out this link for some natural face paints and this blog for some great DIY options like fake skin to make warts/wounds.
- Reuse your decorations from years past instead of buying new each year or recycle natural elements like leaves, corn stalks, pumpkins/gourds and apples to decorate.
- Use soy candles in your pumpkins instead of petroleum-based paraffin wax candles.
This episode ends on a low note. I try to keep the podcast upbeat, but this is real life and life isn’t always happy. =(