Wednesday, July 8, 2015

simple craft - I've been sew busy!

How about a crafty update? Not much knitting happening around here and no spinning, crocheting or weaving at all. But the sewing machine has been earning its keep!

First up, my sheets finally fit! For the past year and a half, I've been using king size sheets on my queen size bed. I have queen sheets... but none of them fit my 15" thick mattress so I've been using a set of king sheets I picked up super cheap. Last week, after washing an hanging them out to dry, I finally took measurements and went to work. The pillow cases and top sheet were easy... the fitted sheet less so, but it works! And I no longer wake up with bunched sheets. =)

Joann Fabric has had several sewing pattern sales lately and I took full advantage. $1-1.40 for patterns that are normally $16-20 apiece? Yes, please!

*If you're interested in getting patterns during sales like this, go early! I was the first customer pulling patterns on the very first day of the most recent sale and there was only one copy of many of the patterns I was looking for at my local store. Yours might plan ahead better for the sale and have more in stock.
So with several great patterns to choose from, where to start?! How about a fun reversible circle wrap skirt? I used McCall's pattern M7129 which professed to be "easy" and is part of their "learn to sew" collection. Perfect for a newbie like me! I've sewn a bit, but just basics and mostly straight lines. LOL This would be my first garment! I rummaged through my fabric stash looking for patterns that would work together and that I had enough yardage. Much of my stash was purchased as half off clearance and with an intention of making bags, totes and smaller quilts so mostly I have no more than 2 yds, but I lucked out! I went to work cutting out pieces on my craft room floor - a nice, large cutting table would be nice, but the floor works too... just a bit harder on the back.

I had to go back to the store for bias tape and nearly ran out of thread - so close! I learned a lot. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. I did have to read a couple parts a few times to be sure I understood what I was doing, but I only had to rip out one seam!

I chose a fun bird fabric as my main fabric and this side has side seam pockets.


The reverse fabric is butterflies - aqua on aqua which makes me happy. =)


This was a very pleasant experience and I'm thrilled with the result! I already have plans for more garments in the near future!
Simple? Maybe, maybe not. It took me a few days to complete start to finish. Sure, it would be quicker and easier to buy mass-produced clothing from the store, but what better way to have a one-of-a-kind garment and have some fun in the process?

I may not have had control over how this fabric was produced, but I do know it wasn't sewn by underpaid (or underage) workers and there's just something extra special about something made with my own hands. =)


Have you sewn garments before? If you haven't tried and have any interest, jump in! There are lots of "easy" patterns out there. If I can do it, anyone can! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

please be kind =)